Every Bike Ride by Duncan Long
10 Horrifying Horror Story Prompts
Here are 10 horror story prompts that should give you the chills, and get you writing something scary. Warning if these don’t scare you, you are most-likely a zombie, vampire, werewolf or ghost. If you are unaware of being one of the undead, seek medical attention immediately.
- You have had a strange feeling for a few days now. Today you’ve been feeling very energetic and tired at the same time. You sit, exhausted and full of energy, at your desk. Your arm has been itching. It’s killing you now. You look at your forearm and see it for the first time. Something is moving under your skin. It is shifting around. Your muscle spasms and you realize there are dozens moving toward the surface.
- You open your eyes to complete darkness. The last thing you remember is the dog running out into the road, the brightness of the day light, and your car headed off the road. As your head clears you realize you are hanging upside down. Your feet and legs are completely mobilized. You can hear something breathing in the room.
- Your driving on a country road. It is late at night. You are far from home. You realize, as you check your mirrors, there is a man you do not know, hiding on the floor of your back seat.
- It’s 3 am. Your room is dark, but you can see that there is someone, standing at the foot of your bed. You can just make out that he or she is wearing a clown costume, and you are pretty sure, from the glare and the little bit of reflection, that it has a knife.
- At 3 am you wake up out of a very sound sleep. You hear the ice cream truck outside of your house. And you realize, the sound that woke you up, was the sound of your 4 year old daughter, letting the screen down slam, as she left the house.
- You are running late. After quickly getting ready, you rush out of the house and to your car door. A sound gets your attention, and for the first time this morning you look at your surroundings. There is a fully grown male lion, just a few feet from you. Your car door is still locked.
- You are falling. The 737 is a 100 yards above you. You hear the rush of the wind, and it’s so cold. You realize you are still holding your baby.
- The worst cramps you have ever had set in on your biceps. Your arms are twisting. You feel your ankles popping. It came on so suddenly. You drop to your knees, looking through your bedroom window, you see the full moon. You hear a little voice behind you, “Mommy?” (or “daddy”)
- You are frozen with fear. You open your eyes, the tent is dark. But you can feel the heavy weight of a large tarantula covering one eye. Through the other eye you can see the shadows, from the moonlight, of 100s if not 1000s of other spiders covering the tent.
- The man leans into you. There is a dark red almost black color to the whites of his eyes. He is so close his nose is almost touching your nose. You can feel his breath when he says, “We all have it in here. We are all infected.
We are looking for submissions to our horror story contest!!!! Submit your creepy story here.
If you would rather write horror poetry, try our Horror Haiku Contest.
10 Horrifying Horror Story Prompts Here are 10 horror story prompts that should give you the chills, and get you writing something scary. Warning if these don't scare you, you are most-likely a zombie, vampire, werewolf or ghost. If you are unaware of being one of the undead, seek medical...Every WriterEveryWritereds@everywritersresource.comAdministratorI am the Editor of EWR. I have been doing this a long time. Every WriterEvery Writer
I'm allowing people to see some of my horror story ideas in the hopes of motivating myself into developing some of my own story writing. The reasoning behind this is a little embarrassing, but since it bears on me deciding to write this article, here are some broad strokes of this tale:
The creative bug didn't bite me until I was an adult. As I found myself reading good stories, watching good movies, and looking at great art, I discovered that I longed to create such things on my own. I wanted to say that my job was to create. I quickly began to accumulate ideas, and since I loved the horror genre, a lot of them leaned towards the darker side of things. I began forming horror story ideas everywhere and thoroughly enjoyed jotting down plots of frightening tales. This went on for years, and despite accumulating so many ideas, I still don't have any concrete creations yet. Hopefully, this article will help inspire me to start fleshing these plots out and put them out into the universe.
Personal anecdote aside, let's get to the meat on the bones, shall we? Here are 27 scary story ideas for you to hopefully develop or at least be inspired by! Enjoy.