Sorted by Form Number
Most of the following files are in PDF format and require the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available from Adobe at no charge.
(Forms marked with an * may be filled out online and then printed.)
- 71054: Certification for Waiver of Skill Test for Military Personnel
- 71120: Certification of Address
- 71120SP: Certificación de Dirrección
- 71142: Parent Consent Form (Under 18 – Learner’s License)
- 71142SP: Formulario A de Consentimiento Paterno (Bajo 18 años – Licencia de Aprendiz)
- 71143: Parent Consent Form (Under 18 – Driving Test)
- 71143SP: Formulario B de Consentimiento Paterno (Bajo 18 años – Examen Práctico)
- 71144: Parent Proctoring Form
- 71144SP: Supervisión del Padre de la Prueba en Línea del CARNET de Conducir de un Menor de Edad
- 72010: Report of Eye Exam
- 72034: Request for Eligibility Review
- 72068: Identity Theft/Driver License Fraud Report Form
- 72077: Release From Incarceration Form
- 72119: Report of Eye Exam
- 72120: Application for Identification Card with Developmental Disability Designation
- 72190: Report a Driver Whose Ability is Questionable
- 72190SP: Denuncie a un Conductor Cuya Habilidad es Cuestionable
- 72835SP: Notificación a Estudiante sobre Elegibilidad para Conducir para Licenciarse
- 72836: Notificación a Estudiante para Programa de Educación en el Hogar
- 72838: Informe sobre Examen de la Vista
- 72862: Worthless Check Clearance
- 72862SP: Compensación o Pago de Cheques Sin Fondos
- 72870: Student Notification for Driving Eligibility for Licensure
- 72871: Student Notification for Home Education Program
- 73209: Criminal Justice Information Request form
- 73644: Driver License Refund Request
- 73644SP: Solicitud de Reembolso en Cartera de Conducir
- 74007: Security Deposit Refund Request
- 74010: Court Authority to Reinstate (Failure to meet financial obligations suspension)
- 74014: Release in Full of All Claims – Instruction Sheet
- 74014SP: Formulario para la Exoneración de Daños a la Propiedad/Lesiones
- 74034: Judgment Consent Form
- 74034SP: Formulario de Consentimiento de la Demanda
- 74036: Agreement for Release and Monthly Repayment Note – Instruction Sheet
- 74038: Satisfaction of Judgment
- 74038SP: Formulario Para la Satisfaccion de la Demanda
- 74039: Authorization to Pay Security
- 75710: Red Light Camera
- 77058: RiderCoach Apprentice Program Application (RCAP)
- 77067: Application For Authority to Conduct Third Party Driver License Testing
- 77071S: Vehicle Registration Application for Commercial Driving School
- 77078: RiderCoach Intern Form
- 77079: RiderCoach Mentor Form
- 77122: RiderCoach Personal Information & Qualifications
- 78015: Worthless Check Hardship Hearing Form
- 78065: Application for Formal or Informal review of Driver License
- 78306: Application for Hardship or Administrative Hearing
- 80122: Application for Suspected or Reported Title and Registration Fraud *
- 81027: Assignment of Judgment *
- 81032: Application for Florida Certification of Mobile/Manufactured Home Installation Component or Product*
- 81095: MH/RV Complaint Registration Form*
- 81401: Manufactured/Mobile Home Installer License Application*
- 81402: Installer Performance Bond*
- 81404: Mobile Home Installation Decal Order Form*
- 81406: Application/Affidavit for Duplicate Mobile Home Installer License*
- 81407: Affidavit for Replacement of Lost Mobile Home Installer Decals *
- 81409: Mobile Home Dealer Installer License Application*
- 82002: Initial Registration Fee Exemption Affidavit*
- 82012: Application for Certificate of Destruction*
- 82013: Certificate of Destruction (Sample only — do not fill out)
- 82026: Application For Bonded Title Affidavit*
- 82033: Title Surety Bond for a Motor Vehicle*
- 82039: Application for Multiple Certificate of Titles With/Without Registration *
- 82040: Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration *
- 82042: Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification*
- 82048: Vehicle Identification Number and Repossession Notice to Subsequent Lienholder*
- 82050: Notice of Sale and/or Bill of Sale for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, Off-Highway Vehicle or Vessel*
- 82052: Electronic Signature Agreement
- 82053: Power of Attorney*
- 82054: Application for Original or Replacement Title Validation Sticker for an Off Highway Vehicle*
- 82078: Notification of Dispute of Registration Fees Paid to a Dealer for a Motor Vehicle*
- 82082: Off-line Issuance of a Pre-printed Temporary License Plate*
- 82083: Application to Become an Authorized EFS Agent/Change of Certified Service Provider *
- 82084: Dealer Plates for Heavy Trucks for Demonstration Purposes*
- 82089: Insurance Company Motor Vehicle Release Statement*
- 82091: Reassignment Supplement to a Certificate of Title*
- 82092: Reassignment Document for an Electronic Certificate of Title*
- 82100: Affidavit for Change/Alteration of Body*
- 82101: Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment Title for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate*
- 82103: Affidavit for Change of Motor (MV manufactured prior to 1955)*
- 82105: Certified Official Weight Affidavit
- 82109: Application for Retirement of a Mobile Home Certificate of Title
- 82137: Application for Derelict Motor Vehicle Certificate and Request to Cancel Title *
- 82139: Application for Notice of Lien/Reassignment of Lien or Notice to First Lienholder of Subsequent Lien*
- 82150: Application and Notice of Interest – Electronic Lien and Title Process*
- 82152: Application for Surviving Spouse Transfer of Title
- 82175: Dealer Non-Delivery Affidavit*
- 82192: Notice to Surrender Motor Vehicle/Vessel*
- 82260: Lien Satisfaction*
- 82363: Application for Salvage Title/Certificate of Destruction*
- 82498: Application for Notification of Dispute on a Wrecker Operator’s Lien for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel*
- 82993: Application for Separate Odometer Disclosure Statement and Acknowledgment*
- 82994: Application for Motor Vehicle Dealer Title Reassignment Supplement (Sample only — do not fill out)
- 82995: Application for Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney/Odometer Disclosure (Sample only — do not fill out)
- 82996: Application for Motor Vehicle Dealer/Auto Auction or Customer Odometer Affidavit*
- 83000: Sample License Plate Request Form*
- 83007: Application for Regular and Motorcycle International Wheelchair Symbol License Plate*
- 83016: Tax Collectors Mailing List
- 83020: Application for Front End License Plates*
- 83027: Application for HOV Decal*
- 83030: Application for U.S. Reserve or Florida National Guard License Plate*
- 83034: Application for Ex-Prisoner of War, Purple Heart, Medal of Honor, Pearl Harbor Survivor, US Paratrooper, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom, Gold Star, Veteran of the United States Armed Forces, Combat Infantry Badge, Combat Action Badge, Combat Medical Badge, Vietnam War Veteran, Korean War Veteran, Silver Star, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Operation Desert Shield Veteran, Operation Desert Storm Veteran, Combat Action Ribbon, Distinguished Flying Cross, Woman Veteran, Air Force Combat Action Medal, Navy Submariner, World War II Veteran *
- 83036: Notice of Reassignment of Permanent Florida Governmental Agency License Plate*
- 83039: Disabled Parking Placard*
- 83041: Application for Amateur Radio License Plate*
- 83043: Personalized License Plate*
- 83045: Application for Registration of a Street Rod, Custom Vehicle, Horseless Carriage or Antique (Permanent)*
- 83060: Registration of Vehicle with Out-Of-State Lien*
- 83065: Application for Transporter License Plate*
- 83080: Eligibility Affidavit for Motor Vehicle Registration*
- 83081: Application for a Press (PRES) License Plate*
- 83088: Temporary 90 Day Employment (Sample only — do not fill out)
- 83090: Application by Florida Motor Vehicle Mobile Home or Recreational Vehicle Dealer for Temporary Plates *
- 83091: Application for Temporary License Plate*
- 83101: Missing License Plate, Decal or Placard Affidavit*
- 83109: Application for Legislative License Plate*
- 83110: Application for Registration of a Motor Vehicle for Agricultural (Restricted), Horticultural (Restricted), or “Goat” License Plate*
- 83140: License Plate Rate Chart*
- 83146: Application for Replacement license plate, validation decal or parking permit*
- 83330: Florida Insurance Affidavit*
- 83363: Application for License Plate or Decal Refund*
- 83390: Application for Sunscreening Medical Exemption*
- 83416: Request for Division of Motor Vehicle/Vessel Forms*
- 84003: Receipt and Certificate of Disposal for Obsolete License Plates*
- 84016: Temporary Tag Record*
- 84019: Application and Claim To Recover Compensation from the Mobile Home and Recreational Vehicle Trust Fund*
- 84026: Assignment of Claim/Suit*
- 84045: Registration of Mobile Home Dealer’s Salesperson(s)*
- 84050: Application for Dealer License Reprint*
- 84058: Vehicle Air Pollution Control Statement*
- 84061: Declaration Affidavit for A Motor Vehicle Which Will Be Titled and Registered in Another State or Country
- 84200: Application for A Temporary “Supplemental” License for An Off-Premises Sale by A Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Recreational Vehicle Dealer
- 84256: Application for A License as A Motor Vehicle or Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer, Importer, Or Distributor or A Mobile Home Manufacturer
- 84490: Statement of Builder
- 84491: Statement of Builder, Additional Sheet
- 84901: Division of Motorist Services Complaint Affidavit
- 85008: IFTA Application & Decal Order
- 85017: Record Keeping Agreement (with suggested templates)
- 85041: Change of Address
- 85083: Motor Carrier Services E-File Request Form
- 85100: Application to Replace an Apportioned License Plate and/or CAB Card
- 85103: Welcome to the International Registration Plan
- 85800: How to Calculate the International Fuel Tax Agreement Quarterly Tax Return
- 85900: International Registration Plan, Florida Application
- 85901: IRP Application Instruction Book
- 85921: International Fuel Tax Agreement, Florida Tax Return
- 86018: Surety Bond, Mobile Home Dealer*
- 86019: Surety Bond, Recreational Vehicle Dealer*
- 86020: Surety Bond, Motor Vehicle Dealer*
- 86050: Surety Bond, Mobile Home Manufacturer*
- 86051: Surety Bond, Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer or Van Converter*
- 86056: Application for License as a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealer*
- 86057: Florida Motor Vehicle Dealer Irrevocable Letter of Credit*
- 86058: Florida Mobile Home Dealer Irrevocable Letter of Credit*
- 86059: Florida Mobile Home Manufacturer Irrevocable Letter of Credit *
- 86060: Statement of Intent to Relinquish a Dealer License*
- 86064: Affidavit for Golf Cart Modified to a Low Speed Vehicle*
- 86066: Affidavit for a Low Speed Vehicle Converted to a Golf Cart*
- 86072: Modification to Dealer License for Licensed Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealers*
- 86218: Renewal Application: Mobile Home Manufacturer or Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer, Importer, or Distributor
- 86219: Renewal Application: Motor Vehicle Manufacturer, Importer, or Distributor
- 86720: Renewal Application Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealers*
- 87002: Vessel Statement of Builder*
- 87008: Affidavit for Transfer/Sale on a Repossessed Vessel in Default of Contract*
- 87015: Application for Vessel Duplicate Registration, Replacement Decal and Change of Classification*
- 87017: Affidavit to Correct Vessel Length Documentation*
- 87183: Certification of Vessel Hull Identification Number*
- 87231: Application for ‘GOVERNMENTAL’ Vessel Registration Number*
- 87243: Antique Vessel Certification*
- 87244: Application to Register Non-Titled Vessels*
- 87307: Application for ‘Confidential’ Registration*
- 90011S: Accident Self Report — Online or Form
- 90510: Request for Motor Vehicle/Vessel and Mobile Home Records Request form*
- 90511: Request for Driver License Records Request form
- 92786: FRTP Quality Assurance Audit Form
- 94250: Consumer Appeal Form
- 96020: Public Official, Law Enforcement Agency Personnel and Others (Section 119.071 FS) – Request to Withhold Personal Information Form
- 96440: MCS Power of Attorney*
Registration, Title and Licenses
CHAPTER 25. TRANSFER OF TITLE, REGISTRATION AND LIENS
§ 2501 Expiration of registration upon transfer of title.
Whenever the owner of a vehicle registered under this title transfers or assigns the title or interest thereto, the registration of such vehicle shall expire.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 15; Code 1935, § 5553; 43 Del. Laws, c. 244, § 9; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2501; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.;
§ 2502 Endorsement and delivery of registration card upon transfer.
An owner, upon transferring a registered vehicle, shall endorse the name and address of the transferee and the date of transfer upon the registration card issued for such vehicle and shall immediately give or send such card to the Department or an authorized representative thereof, except as otherwise provided by law in the case of transfers to dealers.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 15; Code 1935, § 5553; 43 Del. Laws, c. 244, § 9; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2502.;
§ 2503 New certificate of title, registration and inspection; exceptions [For applicability of this section, see 80 Del. Laws, c. 77, § 23]
(a) The transferee of a Delaware registered vehicle shall make application for a new certificate of title immediately following purchase, but in no case more than 30 days after purchase of said vehicle. If due to extraordinary circumstances the purchaser is unable to apply for a certificate of title within 30 days of the purchase date, the Director, in the Director's discretion and for good cause shown, may grant an extension of time within which the purchaser must do so. The transferee, before operating or permitting the operation of a motor vehicle which has been transferred to such transferee upon a highway, shall apply for a transfer of title, obtain the registration of the vehicle as upon original registration, submit the vehicle to inspection and obtain new registration plates and new number plates as provided in this title. If the transferor has not had the registration plates and number plates transferred and assigned to another vehicle, then the transferee may, before operating or permitting the operation of such vehicle upon a highway, apply for and obtain, upon the payment of a fee of $35, a transfer of title and registration. Upon any such application the Department shall issue to the transferee without additional fee or inspection a new certificate of title and a new registration card, which card shall show the same period for which such vehicle was originally registered by the owner.
(b) Subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the operation of vehicles by dealers or under temporary or limited permits or certificates as otherwise provided by this title.
(c) The Department shall transfer a certificate of title or registration certificate to any person 18 years of age or older if such person is otherwise qualified to obtain such certificate of title or registration certificate. The Department may transfer a certificate of title or registration certificate to a person under 18 years of age if at least 1 parent or guardian of said person signs the certificate of title or registration certificate stating consent to the transfer of same.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 15; Code 1935, § 5553; 43 Del. Laws, c. 244, § 9; 48 Del. Laws, c. 115, § 2; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2503; 53 Del. Laws, c. 221, § 16; 54 Del. Laws, c. 365, § 3; 57 Del. Laws, c. 75; 58 Del. Laws, c. 551, § 42; 59 Del. Laws, c. 48, § 4; 65 Del. Laws, c. 178, § 5; 68 Del. Laws, c. 156, § 60(e); 69 Del. Laws, c. 74, § 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 76 Del. Laws, c. 76, § 15; 80 Del. Laws, c. 77, § 20.;
§ 2504 Transfer to a dealer; transfer by a dealer.
(a) If the transferee is a dealer, the owner upon transferring a registered vehicle shall properly endorse the registration card and deliver it together with the certificate of title properly assigned to the dealer who shall immediately report such transfer to the Department. After reporting the transfer, the dealer may operate such vehicle upon the highways during the period for which it is currently registered without dealer's plates solely for the purposes of testing, demonstrating or selling the vehicle but upon the sale of such vehicle the dealer shall endorse the name and address of the purchaser and the date of transfer upon the registration card and shall immediately give or send the card to the Department or an authorized representative thereof. The purchaser or transferee of the dealer shall, before operating or permitting the operation of the vehicle upon a highway, comply with this chapter.
(b) If ownership of a vehicle held by a registered dealer for sale is transferred, the transferring dealer, without applying for a new certificate of title, may execute an assignment of title to the transferee on a dealer's reassignment form, prescribed by the Department. Such assignment shall include a statement certifying all liens and encumbrances on the vehicle.
Every dealer, upon transferring a vehicle, shall immediately give a written notice of such transfer to the Department upon the official form provided by the Department.
(c) Dealer reassignment forms may be issued to a qualified dealer upon application for not less than 5 such forms and payment of a fee of $10 for each form.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 15; Code 1935, § 5553; 43 Del. Laws, c. 244, § 9; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2504; 60 Del. Laws, c. 336, § 1; 65 Del. Laws, c. 178, § 6; 68 Del. Laws, c. 156, § 60(f); 79 Del. Laws, c. 46, § 1.;
§ 2505 Transfer to automotive recycler.
(a) Whenever an automotive recycler purchases or otherwise acquires any vehicle, whether registered or unregistered, for the purpose of wrecking or dismantling it in order to resell the parts thereof, such automotive recycler shall obtain the certificate of title issued by this State or any other state, a salvage certificate or other acceptable evidence of ownership from the seller or transferee which shall be deemed to meet all State proof of ownership, and shall be kept by the automotive recycler at the place of business where the vehicle was originally acquired by the automotive recycler. The automotive recycler shall report the acquisition of all vehicles to the Department on a monthly basis on a form devised by the Department. If the vehicle is transferred by the automotive recycler or the recycler's agent to another person or location, it shall be noted by the automotive recycler in the record, and the proof of ownership shall be transferred and kept at the same location as the vehicle, unless the vehicle is transferred to a scrap processor for recycling the vehicle scrap in which case the automotive recycler shall immediately send or deliver the proof of ownership of the vehicle to the Department. In this case the automotive recycler shall complete a 3-part form provided by the Department and shall:
(1) Retain 1 copy in the recycler's records;
(2) Forward 1 copy to the Department together with the proof of ownership;
(3) Forward the remaining copy to the scrap processor; and
(4) The scrap processor shall, upon destruction of the vehicle, retain a copy in such processor's records. The copy retained by the scrap processor shall be kept for a period of 3 years and the scrap processor shall make the same available for inspection by any police officer during the regular working hours of such business.
(b) The records and information required by this section shall be maintained by the automotive recycler for as long as said vehicle remains in the recycler's possession or control; provided, however, that if the automotive recycler transfers such vehicle to another person the recycler shall nevertheless keep such records and information for a period of 3 years from the date of such transfer. All records shall be maintained at the approved business location.
(c) If the ownership of the vehicle held for resale is transferred for titling and registration purposes, the transferring licensed automotive recycler without applying for a new certificate of title may execute an assignment of the certificate of title or salvage certificate to the transferee on the reassignment form prescribed by the Department.
(d) Any person who fails, neglects or refuses to maintain the records and information required by this section, or who shall refuse to permit the examination of the records or information by persons permitted to do so by this section or Chapter 75 of this title, shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor as the same is defined in Chapter 42 of Title 11, and shall be subject to the penalties prescribed therein.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, §§ 15, 26; Code 1935, §§ 5553, 5564; 43 Del. Laws, c. 244, §§ 9, 15; 45 Del. Laws, c. 287, § 2; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2505; 51 Del. Laws, c. 223, § 2; 59 Del. Laws, c. 541, § 3; 63 Del. Laws, c. 53, § 1; 65 Del. Laws, c. 318, § 4; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.;
§ 2506 Transfer by operation of law; duty of transferee.
In the event of the transfer by operation of law of the title or interest of an owner in and to a vehicle as upon transfer-on-death, inheritance, devise or bequest, order in bankruptcy or insolvency or execution sale, the registration thereof shall expire and the vehicle shall not be operated upon the highways until and unless the person entitled thereto applies for and obtains the registration and inspection thereof and a transfer of title therefor. The surviving spouse, the child or children of any deceased person and the immediate members of the deceased's family residing in the household, after giving due and proper notice to the Department in such manner and on such form as may be provided therefor by the Department, may operate such vehicle and the current registration thereof shall continue in full force and effect until normal expiration thereof at which time the registration of such vehicle shall expire. An administrator, executor, trustee or other representative of the owner, or a sheriff or other officer or the assignee or legal representative of any such person may operate or cause to be operated any vehicle upon the highways for a distance not exceeding 125 miles from the place where formerly kept by the owner, to a garage, warehouse or other place of keeping or storage, upon displaying upon such vehicle the number plates issued for it and obtaining a temporary or limited permit for such operation as provided by this title.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 15; Code 1935, § 5553; 42 Del. Laws, c. 169; 43 Del. Laws, c. 244, § 9; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2506; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 78 Del. Laws, c. 274, § 4.;
§ 2507 Retitling vehicle in another state.
Whenever any motor vehicle for which a title has been issued by the Department, whether such vehicle is registered or unregistered, is removed from this State, through transfer or otherwise, for the purpose of retitling the vehicle in another state, the owner thereof, upon transferring and/or removing such vehicle, shall, in addition to complying with all the other provisions of this chapter, remove the number plates and, if the vehicle is registered, the registration plates therefrom and shall immediately give or send such plates to the Department or an authorized representative thereof, together with a report that such vehicle is to be retitled in another state. If the Department is satisfied that the vehicle is to be removed from this State for the purpose aforesaid, the title to such vehicle shall be canceled.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 15; Code 1935, § 5553; 44 Del. Laws, c. 188, § 1; 45 Del. Laws, c. 287, § 3; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2507; 51 Del. Laws, c. 223, § 3.;
§ 2508 Fee to transfer title [For applicability of this section, see 80 Del. Laws, c. 77, § 23]
The fee for transferring title to a vehicle shall be $35. A $35 penalty fee shall be charged for the issuance of a new certificate of title on a Delaware titled vehicle when the application is received more than 30 days after the transfer date of said vehicle. The penalty fee shall be waived if the Director has granted an extension of time within which to apply for a certificate of title in accordance with § 2503(a) of this title.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 26; Code 1935, § 5564; 43 Del. Laws, c. 244, § 15; 45 Del. Laws, c. 287, § 2; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2508; 53 Del. Laws, c. 221, § 17; 65 Del. Laws, c. 178, § 4; 68 Del. Laws, c. 156, § 60(g); 69 Del. Laws, c. 74, § 2; 76 Del. Laws, c. 76, § 16; 80 Del. Laws, c. 77, § 21.;
§ 2509 Delivery of title application to Department.
If a licensed dealer holds for sale a motor vehicle, truck tractor, trailer or any other vehicle required by this title to be registered or titled by the Department and transfers the motor vehicle, truck tractor, trailer or other vehicle to someone other than another licensed dealer who holds such vehicle for sale, the dealer shall:
(1) Comply with this chapter; and
(2) Within 30 days of the date of delivery of the vehicle to the purchaser or transferee, transmit to the Department the application for certificate of title and such other accompanying documents and fees as are required by the Department; or
(3) Within 10 days of the date of delivery of the vehicle, transmit to the purchaser or transferee of such vehicle the application for certificate of title and such other accompanying documents as are required by the Department, in which case the transferee or purchaser shall submit the application and other documents to the Department within 30 days of the date of delivery of the vehicle.
(4) If, due to extenuating circumstances, the dealer or purchaser or transferee is unable to transmit the application to the Department within 30 days of the date of delivery of the vehicle, the Director, in the Director's discretion may grant an extension of time within which the dealer, purchaser or transferee must do so.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 17; Code 1935, § 5555; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2509; 64 Del. Laws, c. 466, § 12; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.;
§ 2510 Endorsement and delivery of certificate of title upon transfer; penalty [For applicability of this section, see 80 Del. Laws, c. 77, § 23]
(a) The owner of a motor vehicle for which a certificate of title is required shall not sell or transfer that title or interest in or to such vehicle unless the owner has obtained a certificate of title thereto or, unless having procured a certificate of title, the owner shall in every respect comply with the requirements of this section. Whoever violates this section shall be fined not less than $25 nor more than $500, or imprisoned not less than 30 days nor more than 1 year or both.
(b) The owner of a motor vehicle who transfers or sells that title or interest in or to such motor vehicle shall endorse an assignment and warranty of title upon the certificate of title for such vehicle with a statement, as certified by the owner under penalty of perjury, of all liens or encumbrances thereon and the owner shall deliver the certificate of title to the purchaser or transferee at the time of delivering the vehicle.
(c) The transferee, except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, shall thereupon present such certificate endorsed and assigned to the Department, accompanied by a transfer fee of $35 and make application for and obtain a new certificate of title for such vehicle.
(d) When the transferee of a vehicle is a dealer who holds the vehicle for resale and operates it only for purposes of demonstration under dealer's number plates or when the transferee does not drive such vehicle or permit such vehicle to be driven upon the highways, such transferee shall not be required to forward the certificate of title to the Department, as provided in subsection (c) of this section, but such transferee upon transferring that title or interest to another person shall execute and acknowledge an assignment and warranty of title upon the certificate of title and deliver the same to the person to whom such transfer is made. No dealer or other transferee shall hold the certificate of title to a motor vehicle for resale and/or transfer that title or interest to another person by executing an assignment and warranty of title upon the certificate of title without first having satisfied or caused to be satisfied all liens or encumbrances against the motor vehicle recorded in the office of the Secretary.
(e) Whenever the ownership of any motor vehicle passes otherwise than by voluntary transfer, the new owner may obtain a certificate of title therefore from the Department upon application therefore and payment of a fee of $35, accompanied with such instruments or documents of authority, or certified copies thereof, as may be required by law to evidence or effect a transfer of title or interest in or to chattels in such case. The Department, when satisfied of the genuineness and regularity of such transfer, shall issue a new certificate of title to the person entitled thereto.
(f) Whenever a dealer purchases or otherwise acquires a previously registered vehicle, the dealer shall immediately notify the Department, giving the name of the former owner and a sufficient description of the vehicle to identify it.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, §§ 37, 49; 37 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 12; 40 Del. Laws, c. 33, § 1; Code 1935, §§ 5575, 5587; 43 Del. Laws, c. 244, § 17; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2510; 53 Del. Laws, c. 221, §§ 18, 19; 57 Del. Laws, c. 670, § 10; 64 Del. Laws, c. 466, § 10; 65 Del. Laws, c. 178, §§ 7, 8; 68 Del. Laws, c. 156, § 60(h); 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 76 Del. Laws, c. 76, § 17; 80 Del. Laws, c. 77, § 22.;
§ 2511 Penalties.
(a) Whoever violates this chapter shall for the first offense be fined not less than $25 nor more than $100, or imprisoned not less than 30 days nor more than 90 days or both. For each subsequent like offense, the person shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $200, or imprisoned not less than 90 days nor more than 6 months or both.
(b) This section shall not apply to violations for which a specific punishment is set forth elsewhere in this chapter.
36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 32; 37 Del. Laws, c. 10, §§ 10, 11; Code 1935, § 5570; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 2511; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.;
§ 2512 Transfer for salvage.
(a) Whenever any registered or unregistered motor vehicle, for which a title has been issued by the Department, is transferred as salvage as a result of a total loss insurance settlement, the insurance company or its authorized agent shall send the certificate of title of the vehicle to the Department within 30 days from the date of settlement. Upon receipt of the certificate of title and appropriate fee, the Department shall issue a salvage certificate. Such salvage certificate shall be deemed to meet all State proof of ownership.
(b) If the owner of any registered or unregistered motor vehicle for which a title has been issued by the Department receives a total loss insurance settlement for the vehicle and chooses to retain ownership of the vehicle as owner retained salvage, the insurance company shall either comply with the requirements in paragraph (a) of this section or require the owner of the vehicle to procure a salvage certificate from the Department prior to paying the total loss insurance settlement.
(c) Every scrap processor which takes in a scrapped or dismantled vehicle without a title shall upload the vehicle identification number into the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) by the close of business the next business day and shall have the vehicle cleared by a Delaware State Police auto theft technician before the vehicle is scrapped, dismantled, or altered in any way.
(d) The Department shall issue to the seller a receipt in the name of the seller, agent or owner for the salvage certificate. The seller or vehicle owner or agent shall keep such records and receipt for a period of 3 years from the date of sale and shall make such records and receipts available for inspection and examination by any police officer during the regular working hours of such business, seller or agent.
(e) Any person who fails, neglects or refuses to maintain the records and information required by this section, or who shall refuse to permit the examination of the records or information by persons permitted by this section to do so, shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor as the same is defined in Chapter 42 of Title 11, and shall be subject to the penalties proscribed therein.
(f) The record keeping requirements outlined in this section shall be applicable to scrap processors, salvage dealers, junk dealers and insurance companies or their authorized agents. The record keeping requirement and penalties for failure to maintain such records shall not apply to individual owners who choose to retain ownership of their total loss vehicle as owner retained salvage.
59 Del. Laws, c. 541, § 1; 63 Del. Laws, c. 53, § 2; 71 Del. Laws, c. 57, §§ 1, 2; 80 Del. Laws, c. 328, § 1.;
§ 2513 Duty of owner or holder of certificate of title in reference to stolen vehicles.
Whenever any motor vehicle for which a title has been issued by the Department, whether such vehicle is registered or unregistered, is stolen, the owner or holder of the certificate of title shall, within 30 days of such theft, in addition to complying with all the other provisions of this chapter, send the certificate of title of the stolen vehicle to the Department or an authorized representative thereof. If the stolen vehicle is recovered after the title has been sent to the Department, the Department shall return the title at no cost to the owner or former holder of the certificate of title within 10 days after receiving a request therefor from such owner or former holder.
59 Del. Laws, c. 541, § 2.;
§ 2514 Sale of used taxicabs; notice; inspection; penalty.
(a) No person shall knowingly offer for sale or exchange in this State any motor vehicle which was previously licensed and used as a taxicab or for public transportation until the certificate of title for such motor vehicle has been surrendered to the Secretary of Transportation and until the Secretary has stamped in a conspicuous place on such certificate of title the designation "PREV TAXI."
(b) No taxicab or other vehicle which was previously used for public transportation shall be sold to any person until such vehicle has been examined and determined safe and fit for operation and found equipped according to law by the agents of the Secretary of Transportation of this State. In the event such vehicle is found to be in an unsafe condition or the required equipment is not present or is not in proper repair and adjustment, the Secretary or the Secretary's agent shall give a written notice of the unsafe condition to the owner of the motor vehicle. In event the taxicab or motor vehicle is not placed in a safe condition and equipped according to law, the Department shall rescind, cancel or suspend the registration of such vehicle.
(c) Any person who sells a motor vehicle contrary to this section and every officer, agent or employee of any person, firm or corporation and every person who shall sell or who shall authorize, direct, aid in or consent to the sale of a motor vehicle contrary to the provisions of this section shall be fined not more than $1,000 or be imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
64 Del. Laws, c. 466, § 13; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 74 Del. Laws, c. 110, §§ 48, 49.;
§ 2515 Sale of motor vehicles lacking catalytic converters.
(a) No person shall sell a motor vehicle from which the catalytic converter has been removed without first advising the purchaser in writing and obtaining the purchaser's signature upon said notification that the catalytic converter is missing and that the vehicle may not pass inspection. It shall be a defense to any cause of action brought pursuant to this section if the motor vehicle was not required by federal laws or regulations to have a catalytic converter as part of its equipment.
(b) Any person who sells a motor vehicle in violation of this section shall make restitution to the purchaser in an amount reasonably necessary to pay for:
(1) Parts and labor to replace the catalytic converter; and
(2) All reasonable costs and attorneys' fees for bringing an action pursuant to this section.
70 Del. Laws, c. 429, § 1.;